Monday, July 1, 2024

Working with a New Laptop

Three days ago, I bought a new laptop, an AcerAspire 3 15. It has a decent memory capacity and large screen in a relatively affordable price compared to other laptops. I will not be doing any memory consuming work like HD video editing or 3D simulation so the modest specifications of the laptop are just right for me.

I have had no problems with the laptop usage at first. I easily navigated its installed browser and its Office application. I was advised to wait for 5 days before I activate the Office applications online but I forgot and I activated it this morning.  I was also able to set up the 5G wi-fi connection in just 10 seconds. Downloading of applications I need for work was a breeze.

But, what caused me a problem and took me quite sometime to resolve was my video recording in Skype. I needed to send a video introduction for a job I was applying to and I keep having video recordings without audio. I tried and tried for around 30 minutes. I had an early conclusion that it must be a hardware problem. I was already thinking of travelling back to the Acer store to return the laptop or claim my laptop’s warranty. It was a good thing that I first tried to search online about the problem I was encountering. Thankfully, Microsoft Support has the answer. It's just not a good start to be troubleshooting so soon.

Another inconvenience I experienced is not an Acer issue. It is Microsoft OS built-in protection. While I appreciate the threat protection that Microsoft 11 has, I actually had to turn off real-time protection and its firewall to be able to install non-Microsoft applications. It wasn’t a hard chore but still, it delayed some application installation.

There are reviews that claim short battery life for Acer Aspire 3 15 but I was able to use this for almost 11 hours before I was notified of a low-battery status. Charging time took around 2 hours.

I have been an Acer user since 2005. Of course, my experience with their laptops weren’t all good. But, I also do not have horror stories to tell. I think that my previous Acer laptops just reached their time and have served their purpose.

It is just a 3-day old laptop so there’s still much to be seen. For now, it feels great to start work with a new laptop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment